I got a little adventurous in the kitchen last night. Shit got a littttle cray cray. And if by “cray cray” you mean I came home after spin, showered, and started eating everything in my kitchen in a hunger stricken panic, than you are correct.
Slight exaggeration. But I’m sure all of you fitness fiends can relate- my food intake is way higher on days when I’m working out, particularly when I’m doubling up. I don’t eat before working out, and can’t eat immediately after.. but like clockwork, 30 minutes after I finish a workout and have chugged a bunch of water, I need food. In my belly. Or else heads will roll.
I had bought a bunch of kale, shredded carrots, lemons and some haddock filets. I tossed the kale and carrots together with some garlic, lemon, olive oil, s&p and threw them in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes. Absolutely delicious.. little crispy on top, tons of flavor. I love love love kale.
I wanted to spruce up the haddock in some way (this is where my adventurous side kicked in) so…. I used my amazing culinary skills, also known as Google. Found a great recipe for an almond crust from My Recipes and modified it a bit to make it Paleo friendly 🙂
(This photo is also from the My Recipes page. I was going to take pictures of mine.. but it really didn’t look pretty. Got a little crumbly in the skillet, and since I suck at cooking fish and couldn’t tell when it was done, I kept cutting open different pieces to test it. So basically, I was left with a skillet full of fish chunks and almond crust. It tasted SOOO goood, but I was nervous that if I took pictures of it, y’all would be too scared to try it because it looked like poo. So just look at that gorgeous professional photo and pretend that I took it, okay? K. Cool)
Here’s the Paleo Friendly version:
- 2-3 white fish filets (I used Haddock)
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter or oil (I used coconut butter and it got a little burnt on the skillet.. but still tasted good)
- Process 1/2 cup almonds in a food processor until finely chopped, and combine with 1/4 cup almond flour in a shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle fish evenly with salt; drench in almond mixture.
- Melt your fats (oil and/or coconut butter) in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add fish, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden (or until your skillet becomes a crumbly mess)
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds and serve over your bed of kale and carrots. Consume!
This recipe reminded me once again that fish is super fast and easy to make. I legit can’t have any more chicken.. I’m all chickened out. Just so sick of it. So next time you’re at the grocery store, instead of playing it safe and reaching for that chicken breast, grab a few fresh filets of fish. I’ve found that most recipes I used for chicken taste just as good on fish. Anyone have any favorites? I’m looking for some new ones!
Have an awesome weekend! I’ll be out in Montana.. probably will not not consuming any fish, but hopefully will be chowing down on lots of bison burgers 🙂