Exhibit A: Why I shouldn’t eat rice.
I’m officially kissing the BRAT diet goodbye today. My stomach is finally feeling better, and I’m thankful it was just a bug that worked its way out of my system. After 4 days of carb loading, I’m ready to get back to my normal diet and consume a sh*tload of veggies, fruit, and bacon. Om. Nom. Nom. So! Since you’ve all given up carbs and shiz and are badass Paleo-ers, I thought I would give you a little recap of what you’ve been missing in Carb World.
- Zits– Between Monday and Thursday, I got 4 zits. 4!! This is after months of having pretty clear skin. I occasionally get a zit here and there (like when I work out and then take a nap on my couch and don’t shower for 6 hours…) but nothing like this.
- Bloating– That feeling like you have a food baby hanging out in your stomach for 3 hours after you eat. Yeah, haven’t missed that.
- Cramping– Everyone reacts to gluten differently, and my body reacts by cramping up, mostly in my joints. The back of my knees and the inside of my elbows feel like they’re falling asleep after I eat bread or grains. So that was fun!
- Trouble Sleeping– Probably because of the food baby living in my stomach, but I was waking up several times in the middle of the night, which hasn’t happened to me since I went Paleo.
- Digestion Issues– I won’t go into detail, but yeah, let’s just say your body definitely processes gluten differently (aka not at all) if you’ve cut it out for awhile.
So, there you have it. If you ever find yourself missing carbs, just don’t. It’s not worth it! I tried to stick to stuff like applesauce, bananas, chicken soup, and some rice and saltine crackers while staying away from bread. I did have bread a couple times, and even though it did taste pretty amazing (my grandmother’s homemade toast with jam.. yes please) its not worth it for how you feel after. Also, a reader passed along this great forum on Mark’s Daily Apple about what to eat when you’re sick. Hopefully I won’t have a stomach bug again for awhile, but this is a great resource to have on hand so you don’t have to resort to the BRAT!
Hope everyone has a nice weekend! I’m back to spinning my face off. I taught last night, which I was really nervous about because of my stomach, but it ended up going really well. I think it actually helped to sweat it out of my system. I’m taking a few more classes this weekend, so combined with eating clean I think I’ll be back on track for good by Monday 🙂