This weekend I was feeling domestic, so I decided to whip up a couple of Paleo dishes to get me through the week. Since mashed potatoes are one of those foods I really miss, I figured I would see if I could find a Paleo version. I stumbled upon a recipe that used sweet potatoes, coconut milk, unsweetened coconut flakes, lime and pomegranate seeds. Although it looked delicious, I only had about half the ingredients at home. So I pretended I was on Chopped (best show ever on the Food Network) and improvised. Anyways, the dish ended up being surprisingly good. I made a ton of extra and cannot wait to eat it daily. Feel free to switch up the ingredients since it seems to be a dish that can be prepared a thousand different ways.
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of coconut milk (add more or less depending on texture preference)
- ¼ unsweetened coconut flakes
- Zest of one orange
- Juice of ½ an orange
- 1 tbs. basil
- Handful of craisens
- Bake potatoes in oven or microwave until soft.
- Let potatoes cool for a couple minutes then cut them into chunks for mashing. (I left the skin on mine for the added nutrients. Either way is delicious).
- Mash potatoes in a pot over low heat.
- Add coconut milk and continue to mash.
- Add coconut flakes, zest of orange, orange juice and basil to the potatoes and continue to mash.
- Stir in craisens.
This recipe is really easy. It takes all about 5 minutes after the potatoes are cooked through. It is easy to make a lot of at once which is great if you are busy and don’t have time to cook every night. Anyways, Enjoy!