The Paleo diet is totally what you make it out to be. When I first decided to go Paleo, I thought my days of rich, delicious and convenient foods were over. However, after some trial and error and a ton of research, I realized Paleo can be delicious, you just have to know where to look and what to get. So, I thought I would spread the wealth and share my list of paleo go-to foods:
- Coconut milk. Last year, I didn’t even know coconut milk existed outside of Thai food. All I knew was it was loaded with saturated fat and to stay away from it (thank you nutritionist recommended by my doctor). But, to be honest the stuff has totally gotten a bad wrap these days. The fat in coconut milk is almost all in the form of health promoting, immune boosting medium chained saturated fats that are actually really, really good for you. For us dairy-loving paleo followers, this is a god sent. I use coconut milk for everything now – in my morning shakes (more on those later), in my coffee and mixed with fruit for dessert. Now, the fun doesn’t stop there. There is now coconut yogurt, icecream and coffee creamer. Basically, anything that is normally made out of dairy is now made out of coconut milk. Best news ever.
- Gucamole 100 calorie packs. I didn’t choose these packets based on their 100 calorie-ness. Honestly, calories mean jack shit to me. These are great because, if you are like me, you cannot finish a whole thing of guacamole before the stuff starts turning brown. Brown guacamole is so not appetizing. These little tubes of goodness are super portable, easy to eat and perfectly portioned.
- Turkey Jerky. In my pre-paleo days, I would have never touched jerky. I mean it just looks disgusting. Shriveled, dried up meat? No thank you. But a couple weeks ago, I decided to suck it up and try it. To my surprise, its actually really good. For those of you who haven’t tried it, jerky is very tough and requires a lot of chewing. So, it’s the perfect food if you are bored and feel like eating or need something to munch on during a movie or whatever. And, its loaded with protein which is great.
- Trader Joe’s individually wrapped almonds. I love almonds. Always have, always will. But, you know what’s annoying about them? You need to open the jar, figure out what is a proper serving is, get a plastic bag, open it up, put them in, seal the bag, close the jar and put it away. In the morning, I leave myself just enough time to get ready and walk out the door. I don’t have an extra 45 seconds to fiddle around with my almonds. So, when I was in Trader Joe’s the other day I am sure you can imagine my amazement with these little one serving baggies of almonds! Best invention ever. I keep a couple of baggies in my car, purse, desk and gym back so you are never in an almond predicament.
- 70% Dark Chocolate. One of the best things about the paleo diet? You can still have chocolate! Granted its 70% or higher, but the stuff is delicious. Since dark chocolate is so rich, I find it’s hard to overeat. A couple of squares will totally do the tick and give you the chocolate fix you were looking for.